Home Foreign affairs Senate Approves New Brazil Ambassador to Tanzania

Senate Approves New Brazil Ambassador to Tanzania

60
0
SHARE

 

By 42 votes to 2, with one abstention, the Senate Plenary approved the nomination of diplomat Antonio Augusto Martins Cesar to serve as Brazil’s ambassador to Tanzania. He will also lead the Brazilian embassies in Comoros and Seychelles.

Formed by the Rio Branco Institute in 1997, Antonio Augusto Martins Cesar has served in the Brazilian embassies in Caracas (Venezuela), San Salvador (El Salvador), Asunción (Paraguay), Lisbon (Portugal), Pretoria (South Africa) and Windhoek (Namibia).

Brazil established diplomatic relations with Tanzania in 1970. In 1979, the Brazilian embassy in Dar es Salam was established, deactivated in 1991. In March 2005, the Brazilian representation was reopened. The Tanzanian government established its embassy in Brasilia in 2007.

Located in East Africa, it is a populous country with 56 million inhabitants spread over an area of ​​885,800 km². Dodoma is the official capital and seat of the Legislature. The city of Dar es Salaam is the seat of the Executive and Judiciary.

In September 2016, the Senate approved an agreement for the forgiveness of 86% of Tanzania’s debt with Brazil and rescheduling the remaining 14% in two equal installments of $16.69 million, paid on Nov. 15th, 2017, and 15 May 2018. The agreement was signed in September 2017.

The final settlement of the debt issue is a fundamental step towards normalizing bilateral economic-commercial relations, since it allows the opening of new financing channels for projects involving Brazilian companies, especially in the area of ​​infrastructure, business growth and financing of exports, which should favor trade between the two countries.

In 2017, Brazilian exports to Tanzania where US $29.84 million and imports were only US $50 thousand. Basically, Brazil exported sugar (raw and refined) and agricultural machinery and equipment (including tractors) and imported tableware and other plastic household goods. According to the Itamaraty, there are 131 Brazilian citizens in Tanzania.

Comoros

Comoros is a group of three islands on the southeast coast of Africa, with about 2 thousand km² and 800 thousand inhabitants, being one of the smallest countries in the African continent in terms of territorial, population and economic.

With a per capita GDP of only US $869.01 (44th among African countries), Comoros is among the poorest countries in the world.

The economy of the country has presented rates of economic growth of the order of 2% (2.5%, in 2017). The agricultural sector, including fishing, accounts for about 49.5% of GDP and supplies most of the exported products.

Main export items are vanilla, clove and ylang-ylang (essence for the perfume industry). Dependence on imports of necessities results in a structural deficit in the Comoran trade balance.

Brazil’s relations with the Union of the Comoros are relatively recent (established in 2005) and still lack density. In 2017, Brazilian exports to Comoros where US $2.65 million and imports were only US $20 thousand. Basically, Brazil exported beef and imported essential oils.

Seychelles

Seychelles is a country made up of 115 islands to the north and northeast of Madagascar. With 455 km² and about 94 thousand inhabitants, it is the smallest country in Africa.

Seychelles is one of the twenty smallest economies in the world, according to World Bank data. Despite this, it has the second highest per capita income in Africa and the best HDI index in the continent.

It is estimated that, in 2017, Seychelles’ GDP has been in the region of US $1.5 billion, with growth of over 4% compared to 2016. The country has achieved most of the UN Millennium Development Goals, those related to education, health, poverty eradication and the environment.

Strongly based in the tertiary sector, the Seychelles economy is characterized by the great dependence on tourism and fishing activities and by vulnerability to changes in the international economic scenario.

Although the tourism sector is the main engine of the Seychelles economy, the country has sought to diversify its economy. Seychelles and Brazil established diplomatic relations in 1986, when the Brazilian Embassy in Dar es Salaam assumed cumulatively the issues related to that country.

In 2017, Brazilian exports to Seychelles where US $9.46 million and imports were only US $120 thousand. Basically, Brazil exported fish and meat from poultry, pork and beef and imported plastic articles for transport or packaging.